Super Simple Stuffed Mushrooms
Sometimes I just want to eat something fast but tasty and warm, either as a snack or a starter before dinner (usually when John is taking a long time cooking something!). One really easy thing that I like to make quite often as a ‘snack’, starter or sometimes even as a main dish are baked mushrooms stuffed with fresh cheese.
It takes just 30 minutes to prepare them and they can be made using just 5 ingredients!
And the magic five (or six) are:
- Mushrooms (Any kind of not tiny mushrooms will do but I prefer bigger ones)
- Fresh cheese (something soft, I would recommend ricotta, fresh cream cheese or quiejo fresco)
- Oil (coconut oil, olive oil …)
- Mixed Spices (it could be just salt and pepper or maybe some paprika)
- Coriander (if you like it)
- A bit of truffle oil would give amazing flavour (Yes, I know that makes six but this one is optional)
What to do, also in five (or six) steps:
- The first step is to set the oven to 200°C, then while it is heating up you can start to prepare the mushrooms.
- I prepare the mushrooms in a very basic simple way so it doesn’t require any deep culinary knowledge or skills, just give them a quick wash and trim off the stalks.
- Wash the mushrooms, put them on a baking tray with the bottom side facing up and stuff them with fresh cheese cream.
- Sprinkle some seasoning and any spices on the top (most of the time I just use ground paprika and salt) and if you have any truffle oil to hand then just put a drop on each mushroom.
- Add a little oil, I like coconut, and bake (sometimes I don’t even wait until the heat reaches 200°C) for 20-25 min until they are cooked through but doesn’t start to get dry.
- Take it out of the oven and just spread some chopped coriander on top (again optional as some people don’t like coriander)
That’s it, enjoy as a snack or starter or serve it with salads as the main dish.
This is a super simple way, but you can make a filing from anything you like really, I also like to throw together the following six (really six this time) ingredients and stuff mushrooms with it…
- Dairy curd
So you can follow these examples or just create something you like!!!
Whatever you decide to put into your mushrooms, I would also suggest adding a glass of fresh crisp white wine to go with them too!